5th Annual Film Festival Supports PSVa
LUNAFEST is a traveling film festival of short movies by…for…about women with proceeds supporting women’s charities. PSVa is grateful to Stroller Strides of Arlington/Alexandria and its affiliated LUNA Moms Club for hosting LUNAFEST to support PSVa.
* Wednesday, March 2, 2011
* 6 pm doors open; 7:30 pm showtime
* Arlington Cinema ‘n Drafthouse 2903 Columbia Pike, Arlington VA 22204 (free parking in nearby parking lots)
* Silent auction and raffles
* Goody-bags for first 50 tickets sold through PSVa
* Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door
Purchase tickets from PSVa or the Cinema ‘n Drafthouse.
PSVa Volunteer Recognized
Arlingtonian Benta Sims Honored
Benta Sims, a Licensed Professional Counselor who lives in Arlington and has a practice in Falls Church, has been selected by Postpartum Support International (PSI) as the “Volunteer of the Year.” Benta was honored at PSI’s annual conference in October specifically for her support to one particular mother who was incarcerated at a local county jail. Benta first reached out to this mom in 2005 by writing to her, and then was physically present during sentencing hearings. Benta has been resourceful professionally, as well as on a personal level, as she continues to support this woman. Benta Sims truly deserves being publicly acknowledged for her listening ears, gentle guidance, insight, and compassion. Thank you, Benta, for your dedication and congratulations on your recognition!
PSVa Volunteer Training
Training on March 11 and March 26
PSVa is holding a full-day training session for those interested in volunteering to support women experiencing depression or anxiety. Are you motivated, committed, and empathetic? Then we want you on our team!
Current volunteers are also encouraged to attend to meet new volunteers, reconnect with old friends, and learn the latest about perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
A very special guest will kick-off the March 11 training — Jane Honikman, founder of Postpartum Support International (PSVa’s “mother”) and author of several books about perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. Jane is world-renowned for starting the social support movement for new mothers.
Topics included in the training:
* overview of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders
* volunteer roles and responsibilities
* providing one-on-one support
* leading support groups
* resources and information
* Friday, March 11 (8 am to 2:30 pm) OR Saturday, March 26 (10 am to 4 pm)
* Sessions will be held in Arlington VA
* Cost is $75 and includes course materials, reference books, and meals (breakfast and lunch on March 11, lunch and snack on March 26.)
* Click HERE to register.
* PSVa can help out-of-towners find lodging