12-hr Post-Graduate Training Program
ADVANCED CLINICAL PRACTICE & THE ART OF HOLDING PERINATAL WOMEN IN DISTRESS
Our unique post-graduate training class is designed (for postgraduate mental health clinicians in direct clinical practice) to provide an optimal environment for personal and practical learning. We do our best to keep the classes small in order to maximize individual attention and offer a hands-on experience… read more »
This training experience provides an enduring foundation for personal and professional growth which will transform your work with perinatal women. Designed to enhance clinical skills and therapeutic effectiveness through experiential learning, participation in this training will increase your knowledge of treating postpartum illness and greatly expand your clinical repertoire. This program, with a small group format, will provide you with the information, tools, and confidence you need to enhance your role as an expert in this highly specialized field of practice. Our mission is to prepare competent, reflective PPD experts who are passionate about providing excellent clinical treatment.
- Advanced Clinical Practice and the Art of Holding Perinatal Women in Distress is an IN-PERSON ONLY*, crash course on diagnosis, screening, assessment, treatment options. Emphasis is on theoretical foundations and therapeutic approaches will be explored with particular focus on the PPSC’s strategies and Kleiman’s HOLDING Model of Intervention.
- Training is based on almost three decades of clinical experience of Karen Kleiman, founding director of The Postpartum Stress Center.
- This course closely follows the theories and clinical practices presented in Therapy and the Postpartum Woman: Notes on healing postpartum depression for clinicians and the women who seek their help (Routledge, 2009) and The Art of Holding in Therapy: An essential intervention for postpartum depression (Routledge, 2017).
- This course has global appeal, drawing clinicians from around the world to gather in order to stay up-to-date and enhance their clinical practice.
- Information in this course is appropriate for new as well as seasoned clinicians, although previous training is recommended.
- Although this course is best suited for clinicians in private practice, the content can be applied to program development for clinicians working in agencies or organizations interested in offering specialized services to their postpartum patients.
- The small group format is essential for optimal professional and personal enrichment.
- Selective participants may be eligible for ongoing consultation or mentoring, subject to the instructor’s schedule and availability. Interested attendees should contact the instructor following the course.
- This is an advanced, intensive training for clinicians who hope to specialize in this field and ideally, have had some fundamental PMAD training.
- Instructed by Karen Kleiman with Hilary Waller
*We regret that we cannot offer online trainings due to the intensive, intimate nature of this course, which is vital to this unique learning experience.
Who Should Attend
Participants should have a masters or doctoral degree from an accredited graduate program in mental health related field.
Social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, marriage and family therapists and other professionals interested in specializing in the treatment of perinatal mood & anxiety disorders will benefit from this one-of-a-kind training. Participation exceptions have been made to include nurses, doulas and midwives when their interests and clinical practice aligns with the heart of our training.
The Postpartum Stress Center’s 12hr Professional Training Classes are held at Normandy Farm Hotel and Conference Center in picturesque Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, in the Coolidge Room (second floor).
Time: Friday 9am-4pm / Saturday 9am-4pm
Hotel Accommodations: We recommend that trainees reserve overnight accommodations at Normandy Farm, when possible, but they fill up quickly. Additional local accommodations listed in link below. Guest rooms at Normandy Farm are available at a discounted rate at $149 per night (single or double occupancy). Since guest room reservations are extremely limited we encourage you to book your reservation as soon as possible after you have completed your training registration.
Before booking your room, please click the “PLEASE READ” link below for additional important details about lodging.
Meals: Now included in your registration fee is dining at Normandy Farm’s fabulous hot and cold buffet breakfast. Breakfast is served at the conference center from 6:30 am to 9:00 am. Please plan to arrive in time to eat and then meet in our training room, The Coolidge Room, a few minutes before 9:00 am. We will break during each day for a hot/ cold buffet lunch and for 2 snack breaks, fees for which are also included in your registration. Normandy Farms does provide options for individuals with dietary restrictions or preferences.
Please note that if you book at another local hotel, your on site meals (breakfast, lunch, and snacks) are still included in the cost of your training registration.
- $1,795.00 – Regular Registration
- $1,500.00 – Scholarship (prior approval)
Continuing Education Credits This program is approved by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) for twelve (12) continuing education contact hours. All others should contact their state board for information regarding CE approval in a particular professional discipline. We will be happy to provide any information they may request. We are in the process of applying for APA CE approval.
•Any changes with registration must be made 90 days in advance of the training date with an administrative fee of $150.00.
•100% of your registration fee (minus $150 admin fee) can be transferred to a future training if changes occur prior to 90 days of your scheduled training date.
•This credit will expire one (1) year from the date of the original training. Note that each participant is only entitled to one rescheduled registration.
•All registrations are final within 90 days of the scheduled training date. No refunds or transfers will be issued if cancellation occurs within that timeframe.
Each participant will receive
- A copy of The Postpartum Stress Center’s Guide to Enhancing your PPD Private Practice: A checklist for successful practice.
- Training booklet including: Powerpoint presentation, PPSC handouts and established tools of intervention, pertinent research articles.
- Inclusion in the PPSC’s referral database and an online listing in our PPSC Clinician Referral list.
- PPSC Certificate of Completion.
- Web Certificate of Completion to post on clinician’s website.
- Opportunity for ongoing peer supervision with other PPD specialists.
- Transition to mentorship program if desired and available.
Upcoming Training Dates
June 1-2, 2018 closed Sept 7-8, 2018Dec 7-8, 2018 March 1-2, 2019
If you have any questions or concerns please call (610) 525-7527 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org The PPSC Grievance Procedure