The Postpartum Pact provides an excellent opportunity for the couple to sit down together and review their previous experience with postpartum depression and/or prepare for an upcoming postpartum period.
If you have experienced postpartum depression and are concerned about how you might feel after a subsequent pregnancy, or, if you have a history of depression at any time in your life and want to prepare emotionally for an upcoming birth, it will be helpful to go over this pact with your partner.
The pact is divided into 6 lists:
1) Here’s what I need you to look for
2) Here’s what I need you to listen for
3) Here’s what I need you to do
4) Here’s what I need you not to do or say
5) Here’s what I need you to say
6) Here’s what I need you to remember
The Postpartum Pact can also be found in the book, “What Am I Thinking?” by Karen Kleiman.